Vegetable Bolognese Sauce (Vegan/Vegetarian). Use a potato masher to gently crush the veg, breaking down any bigger lumps. Add the lentils and tomato base sauce, and bring to the boil – remember to note the liquid level in the pan. Bolognese sauce is a classic family favorite dish.
It's a great way to get lots of veggies, pasta, and protein for a well rounded meal. Bolognese is typically a hearty and chunky sauce that is filled with meat. It is full of flavor and originates from Italy. You can cook Vegetable Bolognese Sauce (Vegan/Vegetarian) using 21 ingredients and 3 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Vegetable Bolognese Sauce (Vegan/Vegetarian)
- You need of Produce.
- It’s of Mushrooms (processed).
- It’s of Carrot (cut into smallish chunks).
- Prepare of Leek (Approx 130gms) (chopped).
- It’s of Cherry Tomatoes.
- You need of Baby Spinach.
- You need of Frozen Peas.
- It’s of Medium Onion (finely chopped).
- Prepare of Garlic Clove (crushed).
- You need of Fresh Basil Leaves.
- You need of Fresh Parsley.
- Prepare of Others.
- You need of Dried Oregano.
- It’s of Dried Mixed Herbs.
- Prepare of salt.
- Prepare of Ground Black Pepper.
- You need of Bay Leaves.
- You need of Paprika Powder.
- Prepare of Chopped Tomatoes.
- It’s of Tomato Passata.
- It’s of Olive Oil.
Today we are putting our spin on classic Bolognese. We have created a Vegetarian Bolognese. This Vegetarian Bolognese is full of hearty chunky vegetables that give the sauce a comforting flavor and. For extra umami flavor I added miso paste and used soy sauce instead of salt.
Vegetable Bolognese Sauce (Vegan/Vegetarian) instructions
- Prepare the ingredients as per the ingredients list above. Place Mushrooms in a Food processor and blitz lightly. Don't over blitz creating a paste..
- In a pot, add olive oil. Add onions and saute for 2mins, add the garlic and saute for another 5 mins. Add the leek and continue to saute on low another minute. Add the carrot, Mushrooms, herbs and Spices & leaves (I added a chilli also). Stir and fry on a high flame, stirring regularly for approx 5 minutes..
- Add the tomato can and passata, stir and sit to simmer for approx 30mins. At the 25minute mark, throw in the cherry tomatoes. After approx 30mins (or when Carrots soft), thrown in the Peas and Spinach and stir in. This only needs to cook for another minute or so and switch off and serve.
As a vegetarian, I was tempted to keep the traditional parmesan cheese and milk in this sauce. If you consume dairy products, by all means swap these into the sauce for an awesome vegetarian bolognese sauce. Instead, I tried using nutritional yeast and oat milk. This Vegan Bolognese is a hearty and flavorful dish that's easy to toss together. Made with your run of the mill pantry items, this savory sauce is composed of simple ingredients.