Vegan Ocra (Lebanese Recipe). Vegan Okra In Tomato Sauce (Bamia b'zeit) Okra in tomato sauce is a great little dish to master especially if you are starting out learning to cook. It was one of the first dishes I made when i left home and I still make it to this day exactly the same way. Well, okra aka bamieh is also beloved in the Eastern mediterranean shores, especially in Egypt, Lebanon and Syria.
Rinse okra and place aside to defrost. Authentic vegan Lebanese recipes that are either incidentally plant based (vegan) like flavourful Mjadara (Mujadara Recipe (Hamra version)) or converted to accommodate for a plant based diet like my hearty Stuffed Eggplant Batinjan Mahshi. Vegan recipes of Lebanese food are so flavoursome: using loads of herbs and spices. You can cook Vegan Ocra (Lebanese Recipe) using 7 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Vegan Ocra (Lebanese Recipe)
- It’s 400 g of frozen ocra.
- It’s 1 of medium onion roughly chopped.
- You need 1 of tomato.
- You need 5 cloves of garlic.
- Prepare 1/2 bundle of fresh chopped coriander.
- It’s 1 tbsp of tomato paste.
- You need 1/2 tsp of dried coriander.
Place in a bowl lined with paper towels. Add okra and stir a few times. In a medium bowl, add the creole seasoning, kosher salt, black pepper, cayenne, white pepper, garlic powder and onion powder. The recipe for my vegan gumbo is definitely not a traditional gumbo recipe as the cooking process is much easier and quicker.
Vegan Ocra (Lebanese Recipe) instructions
- Chop the onion roughly into medium sized cubes.
- Defrost the ocra and wash away remaining dirt.
- Peel and dice the tomato.
- Fry the onion in a pot.
- Once the onion gets translucent, add the ocra and mix until the ocra changes color.
- Add the tomato, garlic whole cloves, coriander (dry and fresh), tomato paste and mix.
- Add 1/2 a cup of water and allow to boil.
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and let it cook for no longer than 10 minutes..
But it's still super delicious and also great for a weeknight dinner! You just got a few simple steps to make this vegan gumbo: The vegan bamia is usually made during the Christian fasting season as people must eat plant-based food only and this vegan okra makes an appearance on the menu. Okra / Bhindi coated in chickpea flour batter, tossed in spiced breadcrumbs and baked until crunchy crisp. Vegan Recipe, can be gluten-free and oil-free. Bamya Recipe – Egyptian Edition Okra is a vegetable that is rich in vitamins and minerals.