Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb). Oh yes, we're making my Vegan Low Carb Shepherd's Pie and it-is-AWESOME. You don't have to be vegan to adore this pie. The result is a delicious low carb vegetarian shepherd's pie recipe that the whole family will love!
You can actually see the sauce bubbling. Great recipe for Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb). Take the veggie crumbles into a pan. You can cook Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb) using 28 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb)
- It’s of Equipment.
- It’s 2 of Pans.
- Prepare 1 of Baking Tray (I think mine was approx 20cm x 20cm).
- Prepare 1 of Food Pocessor (I used my trusty Nutribullet).
- You need of Oven.
- It’s of Produce.
- It’s 1 of Celery Sticks (finely chopped).
- Prepare 1 of Carrots (finely chopped).
- It’s 1/2-1 of Leek (finely chopped).
- It’s 200 gms of Mushrooms (some sliced, some finely chopped).
- It’s 1/2 of Medium Onion (finely chopped).
- You need 2 of Garlic Clove (finely chopped).
- You need 1 tbs of fresh Parsley (finely chopped).
- You need 3 sprigs of Thyme (leave whole).
- Prepare 1 head of Cauliflower (processed) – for the topping.
- You need of Others.
- Prepare 1 1/2 of tab Dried Mix Herbs (or Pizza herbs).
- Prepare 1 tbs of Tomato Paste.
- You need 1 tsp of Paprika.
- Prepare 3 tsp of salt (2 for filling, 1 for topping).
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of Pepper (1 for filling, 2/2 for topping).
- It’s 1 tbs of Rice Flour (mixed in with 1/2 cup cold water).
- It’s 1 1/2 cups of Water.
- You need 2 Cups of Almond Milk (for the topping).
- You need 1 tbs of butter (for the topping – I used a dairy free version).
- It’s 3 tbs of Parmesan (for the topping – I used a Vegan Parmesan).
- Prepare 1 Can of lentils (drained and rinsed).
- You need 2 tbs of Olive Oil.
Add the Coleman's mix (this is basically the gravy that makes this pie famous) and enough water until the gravy is just a little bit watery, but still on the "thick" side. I LOVE traditional shepherd's pie (although to be completely authentic it would have to be made with ground lamb instead of beef – you can use either meat interchangeably in this recipe, lamb tends to be a little fattier though). And I love even more that I can have a low carb version that tastes just as good. This is a great one pan meal with rich flavor you're sure to love and it's adaptable to almost any special diet.
Shepherd's Pie (Vegetarian/Vegan /Low Carb) step by step
- Preheat Oven to 180 degrees Celsius. Prepare vegetables as per ingredients instructions (pic doesn't show the Cauliflower once put in the food processor or the rice flour mixture).
- Place 1tbs Olive oil in a pan, add the onion and saute for 5mins..
- While the onion sautes, in the other pan, add the processed Cauliflower, 2 cups almond milk, 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper to the other pan. Place lid on pan and leave to simmer covered (I didn't take any pics, sorry). This will cook down for approx 15 – 20mins cooking (or until softened).
- Back to the filling pan, Add the other tbs olive oil and then leek and garlic and saute for a further 3 minutes. Then add the Mushrooms, carrot, celery, parsley, tomato paste, thyme, mixed herbs, paprika, 2 tsp salt & 1 tsp pepper and stir..
- Add the lentils and 1 1/2 cups Water and stir. Bring to the boil, turn down to simmer for approx 10mins.
- Just before the filling is ready, add the rice flour water mixture and cook for a minute or so and place the filling mixture into the baking tray.
- For the topping, place the cooked down Cauliflower mixture in a Food processor (I used a Nutribullet), with the butter and 2tbs Parmesan and blitz until smooth..
- Spread the Cauliflower Mash over the top of the filling, sprinkle the last tablespoon of Parmesan over the top and bake for 30mins..
- Once finished, serve. You can leave in the oven for longer for a browner top. I was too hungry to wait and it was great anyway (although doesn't make for the prettiest of pics 😂).
VEGGIES If it's a low carb vegetable, it can go into this keto shepherd's pie recipe. Onions, celery, mushrooms, even broccoli, peas or green beans make for a colorful entrée. TOPPING Beef stock, tomato paste, and garlic give the base for this pie some depth but what really makes this recipe a standout is the mashed cauliflower topping! Low-Carb Shepherd's Pie with Cauliflower Mash. A low-carb shepherd's pie topped with simple mashed cauliflower and cheese is a great healthy winter dish.