Orange Chicken. All in all, fantastic variance on the Orange Chicken recipe. I've made it twice already and followed suggestions from others like using less cornstarch and subbing pineapple juice for some of the water, also added a little sriracha for a kick and it turned out very flavorful. Orange chicken is one of many iterations of Chinese takeout dishes that involve fried chicken pieces tossed with sauce.
Orange marmalade is the key ingredient in a simple sauce with broth, lemon juice, flour and pepper added. Chicken breasts are lightly browned, then simmered in the sauce. Serve over hot cooked rice and sprinkle with fresh parsley, if desired. You can have Orange Chicken using 19 ingredients and 9 steps. Here is how you cook it.
Ingredients of Orange Chicken
- It’s of Battered Chicken.
- Prepare 2 large of chicken breast.
- You need 1 large of egg.
- It’s 1 1/2 tsp of salt.
- You need 1 1/2 tsp of pepper.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of flour.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of corn starch.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of oil.
- Prepare of Sauce.
- It’s 1 tbsp of sesame oil.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of minced garlic.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of water.
- You need 5 tbsp of brown sugar.
- You need 5 tbsp of white vinegar.
- It’s 2 tbsp of soy sauce.
- It’s 1 tsp of orange zest.
- Prepare 1 tsp of grated ginger.
- It’s 2 1/2 tbsp of orange purée.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of corn starch.
Ree's Orange Chicken is a plateful of lightly fried, sticky-sweet goodness. Now, for orange chicken (and other similar sticky chicken dishes), the coating for the chicken is key! I do the back-and-forth-between-the-two-halves-of-the-shell thing, but you can separate the whites however your heart, soul, or family tradition dictates. Coat chicken pieces in egg, then toss in cornstarch mixture, tapping off any excess.
Orange Chicken step by step
- Heat oil for deep frying in wok or deep fryer to 375°F.
- 1 Cut chicken pieces into 2-inch squares and place in large bowl..
- Stir in egg, salt, pepper, and 1 tablespoon oil and mix well.
- Stir cornstarch and flour together. Then, add chicken pieces, stirring to coat..
- Add chicken pieces to hot oil, small batch at a time, fry 3 to 4 minutes or until golden and chrisp. ( Do not overcook or chicken will be tough.).
- Remove chicken from oil with slotted spoon and drain on paper towels.
- For the sauce, add sesame oil and the garlic to large frying pan or wok. Simmer and stir for about 10 seconds.
- Add all ingredients for sauce and heat while stirring for 2-4 minutes until bubbling and slightly thickened..
- Add chicken and stir until fully coated. Sauce will thicken further while cooling..
In a large, deep skillet over medium-high heat, heat ¼'' oil. Fry chicken in batches until golden and crispy. Meanwhile, put the orange juice, soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, sesame oil, salt, crushed red pepper, garlic and ginger in a small nonstick skillet. This Chinese Orange Chicken is made with boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces, dredged, and then fried until golden and crispy. It is a sweet orange sauce made with orange juice, vinegar, garlic, sugar, soy sauce, ginger, red chili flakes, and orange zest.