Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup. Bring home the taste of Rao's Chicken Noodle Soup today. Bring high-quality ingredients and flavors to your pantry. In a large skillet, saute chicken in oil until lightly browned.
Classic chicken noodle soup gets a kick of Southwest flavor! Full of chicken, green chiles, black beans, corn and flavorful spices. You'll love this hearty and easy to make Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Noodle Soup. You can have Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup using 18 ingredients and 4 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup
- You need 3 pounds of bone-in chicken pieces (I like dark meat – more flavor. 🙂 ).
- You need 6 cups of water.
- You need 1 of small onion, cut into 1-inch pieces.
- It’s 6 cloves of garlic, peeled and lightly crushed.
- It’s 2 of medium carrots, cut into 1/2-inch thick pieces (I like to cut them big for slow cooking so they don't disintegrate and still retain some texture).
- It’s 1 of medium bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces (I happened to use the Hatch chilies I roasted the other day, but they're seasonal and sometimes hard to come by even when they're in season).
- You need 1 of large stem celery, cut into 1/2-inch pieces.
- It’s 1 (15 oz.) of can black beans, rinsed and drained (optional – I don't always care for beans in this soup – but add a 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt to the recipe if you add the beans).
- You need 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of corn (or 1 cup frozen or fresh corn kernels).
- Prepare 1/2 of a 15 oz. can of tomatoes.
- Prepare 1/2-1 teaspoon of cumin.
- Prepare 1-2 teaspoons of dried oregano.
- You need 2 of bay leaves.
- It’s 3-3.5 teaspoons of kosher salt to start.
- You need 1-1.5 Tablespoons of fresh squeezed lime juice.
- It’s 1/4 cup of chopped cilantro (optional for the cilantro haters, of course).
- It’s 1 teaspoon of fish sauce (optional, but recommended).
- You need of optional garnish: fried tortilla chips or strips, chopped fresh chilies, onions, cilantro, avocado, and lime wedges.
After the cold, gloomy week we had for most of last week, I decided it was time to get some new soup recipes up on. This Southwest-inspired chicken soup is loaded with black beans, tomatoes, jalapeno peppers, and corn and cooked in a slow cooker for an easy weeknight dinner. Slow Cooker Southwest Chicken Soup Recipe Variations vegetarian – substitute black or pinto beans for the chicken and vegetable broth (affiliate link) for the chicken broth veggie rich – add more veggies, carrots, celery, cauliflower, zucchini, yellow squash, lima beans, sweet potatoes, butternut squash, etc. In a large skillet, saute the chicken in oil until lightly browned.
Slow Cooker Southwestern Chicken Soup step by step
- Dump all but garnish ingredients into your slow cooker and give it a few good stirs..
- Cook on low for 7 to 9 hours, or high for 5 to 7, depending on how hot your slow cooker gets..
- It's always nice if you can give the soup a few gentle stirs throughout the cooking process, but if you can't manage that because you're out of the house, then you can give it a stir and adjust the seasoning as necessary as soon as you get home. This will give the soup some time to more evenly and thoroughly absorb flavor before you sit down to enjoy it..
- I like it with a little steamed rice, some chopped onions and cilantro on top, a good extra squeeze of lime, and a few lashings of Tapatío. 🙂 Enjoy!.
Get dinner on the table on a busy day with ease with this load-&-go crock pot recipe. This zesty soup can simmer in the crock pot for an entire workday, making it perfect for a busy weekday meal. Bump up the Southwest flavors with a garnished of chopped fresh cilantro and a squeeze of lime, if desired. Combine all ingredients except chicken and broth (if using) in slow cooker. Lay chicken on top and cover.