Homemade potato chips. Homemade Potato Chips Tips What potatoes are the best for making chips? Fresh, firm, and non-sprouted russet potatoes are the best for making chips. Soaking the sliced potato in ice water will remove a lot of the starch content, which results in a delicious crispy chip.
A mandoline would make slicing the potato into paper thin slices a breeze. Homemade potato chips are best served fresh. What to serve with homemade potato chips. You can cook Homemade potato chips using 1 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Homemade potato chips
- Prepare 4 of potatoes.
Serve them with a dipping sauce, such as honey mustard, dill dip, or avocado sauce. Thank you sooo very much for this recipe! No more store bought potato chips for this family! Sure, it's easier to rip open a bag of store-bought potato chips, but homemade potato chips aren't just crazy delicious, they're fun to make.
Homemade potato chips step by step
- Wash whole potatoes.
- Heat oil to 350 in deep fryer or in a pan.
- While the oil is heating slice potatoes as thin or thick as you want and place in a bowl of water, with salt and pepper in it..
- Let the sliced potatoes soak in the spiced water while your oil is warming up..
- Strain the potatoes before adding to the fryer.
- Fry until golden or as crisp as you prefer..
- Put the chips in a paper towel with any other salts or seasonings you prefer and lightly shake them to coat the chips, and it takes all the excess oil off too.
- Finally plate the chips, serve, and enjoy!!.
Part of the fun of homemade potato chips is you can use whatever variety you like: Yukon Golds, Yellow Finns, Russian Red Fingerling, even purple or blue potatoes. There's no need to set up a deep fryer to make great potato chips — the oven is just fine. Part of the charm of homemade chips is that they're a little thicker and have more of a bite than chips. Using a mandoline or vegetable peeler, cut potatoes into very thin slices. Transfer to a large bowl; add enough ice water to cover.