Fry Bread. Combine flour, salt, and baking powder. Knead until soft but not sticky. Fry bread is a traditional American Indian quick bread that can be served sweet or savory.
All "fry bread" recipes vary in Native America, and no single recipe is the right one. Produced by: Support for this program provided by: Frybread (also spelled fry bread) is a flat dough bread, fried or deep-fried in oil, shortening, or lard. Made with simple ingredients, frybread can be eaten alone or with various toppings such as honey, jam, powdered sugar, venison, or beef. You can cook Fry Bread using 5 ingredients and 7 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Fry Bread
- It’s 4 cups of flour.
- You need 1/2 teaspoon of salt.
- It’s 1 tablespoon of baking powder.
- You need 1 1/2 cup of warm water.
- You need 4 cups of oil.
Frybread can also be made into tacos, like Navajo tacos Crispy, doughy and totally delicious, this fry bread is fantastic with nearly any sweet or savory toppings you can think of. We love it with a little butter, a drizzle of honey and a squeeze of lemon. —Thelma Tyler, Dragoon, Arizona Fry bread is an excellent choice to serve with a hearty stew or chili, and you can make fry bread tacos with seasoned ground beef and your favorite toppings. It's also a tasty snack when served with honey, maple syrup, or fruit jam or preserves. Put flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl.
Fry Bread step by step
- Mix all dry ingredients into a large bowl.
- Stir in warm water.
- Knead dough until soft but not sticky.
- Let dough sit for at least 5 min.
- Heat up oil in either a pan or deep fryer. For deep fryer I heat too 350°.
- Form dough into small balls, flatten and stretch dough by hand. Tear hole in center to aid in complete cooking..
- Fry only a few at a time. Fry until crispy and golden on both sides..
Mix well, add warm water and stir until dough begins to ball up. On a lightly floured surface knead dough. This easy fry bread recipe rose up beautifully when fried and reminded me of the fried biscuits that I loved as a kid. I sprinkled with powdered sugar and drizzled with honey. This would also be great with fried chicken.