Baba Ghanoush. Peel and discard skin from eggplant. Put eggplant into a bowl; add tahini, garlic, lemon juice, red pepper flakes, and salt. Stir until ingredients are evenly mixed.
Made with eggplant that's been fire roasted (either on a hot grill or under a broiler) to the point of shriveling, it can be served as a side dish. Typically, though, it's a cold or room temperature spread, served with pita bread or crostini or crusty French bread…or a spoon. Baba ghanoush (UK: / ˌ b ɑː b ə ɡ æ ˈ n uː ʃ /, US: /-ɡ ə ˈ n uː ʃ,-ɡ ə ˈ n uː ʒ /; Arabic: بابا غنوج , romanized: bābā ġannūj), also spelled baba ganoush or baba ghanouj, is a Levantine appetizer of mashed cooked eggplant mixed with tahini (made from sesame seeds), olive oil, possibly lemon juice, and various seasonings. You can cook Baba Ghanoush using 7 ingredients and 6 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Baba Ghanoush
- Prepare 2 of eggplants.
- Prepare 1-2 of lemons.
- It’s 1/4 cup of tahini.
- It’s 1/4 tsp of Salt.
- It’s 2 cloves of garlic minced.
- Prepare to taste of Black Pepper.
- Prepare of Extra virgin olive oil.
Baba ganoush, also spelled baba ghanoush is a Mediterranean eggplant dip, popular in many Middle Eastern countries. It mostly has the same ingredients as hummus except for the chickpeas. This creamy dip would be a great appetizer to serve at your next party or the perfect addition to a mezze platter. Middle Eastern baba ghanoush is made of mashed eggplant, tahini, olive oil, and seasonings.
Baba Ghanoush step by step
- Preheat oven to 425° F..
- Cut tops off of eggplants and cut them lengthwise in half. Sprinkle salt on the cut sides and set them aside for 30 minutes to let some of the water come out..
- Dry off any water that has wicked out and brush or spray the cut sides of the eggplant with extra virgin olive oil. Place cut sides down on baking sheet and place in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until cooked through. If you like a smoky flavor turn the broiler on for a minute or two before you remove it from the oven..
- Allow the eggplant to cool until you are able to handle it. Peel the skin off of the eggplant flesh and discard. Place the flesh in a strainer to drain off any excess water. Then cut eggplant into chunks to help with the mashing process..
- In a bowl, add eggplant chunks, tahini, juice of 1 or 2 lemons, garlic, salt, and pepper. Mash and stir until somewhat smooth and everything is completely incorporated..
- This is a great to have with any Mediterranean dish. We love it when we have shawarma..
Baba ganoush recipe: step-by-step (print-friendly option below) Preheat oven and prepare the eggplant. Note: If you prefer to cook the eggplant over open flame, leave the eggplant whole and follow my instructions above for how to grill the eggplant. Learn the secret to making the BEST Baba Ganoush! Made with only FIVE simple ingredients this authentic Middle Eastern Eggplant Dip can be made on the grill, or baked in the oven. Full of flavor, complexity and depth this baba ganoush is healthy, gluten-free, low-carb, keto & vegan!