Chicken and Dumplings – Slow Cooker. Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings Slow Cooker Chicken and Dumplings. Stir in bay leaves, thyme and remaining chicken broth. For dumplings, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt and pepper in a large bowl.
Dot butter over vegetables; pour celery soup and chicken soup over vegetables and sprinkle rosemary on top. If the idea of enjoying a warm bowl of homemade chicken and dumplings with less hands-on cooking time sounds like a delicious idea, that means it's time to get out your slow cooker! The base for this easy recipe simmers for six hours in the slow cooker, resulting in tender, irresistible chicken in a stew of Progresso™ chicken broth, cream of celery soup and cream of chicken soup. You can have Chicken and Dumplings – Slow Cooker using 21 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve that.
Ingredients of Chicken and Dumplings – Slow Cooker
- It’s of Stew Ingredients:.
- It’s 1 lb. of russet potatoes, scrubbed and diced.
- It’s 3 of large carrots, peeled and diced.
- It’s 2 stalks of celery, diced.
- You need 1 of medium yellow onion, diced.
- It’s 4 cloves of garlic, minced.
- Prepare 1 lb. of boneless, skinless chicken breasts.
- Prepare 1 tsp. of each salt, pepper.
- You need 3/4 tsp. of salt-free all purpose seasoning.
- You need 1/2 tsp. of each poultry seasoning, nutmeg, garlic powder.
- You need 3 cups of unsalted chicken broth.
- It’s 3/4 cup of heavy cream, at room temperature.
- You need 1/4 cup of all purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 cup of frozen corn.
- It’s of Dumpling Ingredients:.
- You need 1 cup of all purpose flour.
- You need 2 tsp. of baking powder.
- Prepare 1/4 tsp. of salt.
- It’s 1 tbsp. of dried parsley.
- It’s 1 of large egg, beaten.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of buttermilk.
Scatter onion in the bottom of a large slow cooker then top with chicken. Season with oregano, salt, and pepper. Pour over soup and broth then add thyme and bay leaf. We love comforting soups just about any time of year!
Chicken and Dumplings – Slow Cooker step by step
- Grease the slow cooker (6 quart size) well. Place the potatoes, carrots, celery, onions and garlic into the slow cooker. Lay the chicken on top of the veggies and then sprinkle on the seasonings. Pour the broth over the top, set the heat to low, then place the lid on for 6-8 hours, or until the chicken is cooked through and everything is tender..
- For the dumplings: In a medium bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients for the dumplings…the 1 cup all purpose flour, baking powder, salt and parsley. Then stir in the egg and buttermilk until just combined…do not overmix or the dumplings will be tough. Set this batter aside..
- Remove the chicken to a cutting board, shred it and stir it back into the slow cooker along with the corn. Taste and add whatever additional seasoning you think it needs. Then, make sure the heat is switched to high temperature for the next steps. Whisk together the 1/4 cup all purpose flour and cream until smooth, then whisk it into the slow cooker..
- Drop the dumpling batter by small spoonfuls over the top of the slow cooker contents until it's all used up. Keep in mind that the dumplings will expand as they cook, so leave a bit of space between them. Place the lid back on and cook on high heat for an additional 35 minutes – 1 hour..
- Once it's ready, the soup should have thickened and a toothpick inserted into the dumplings should come out clean. Once it's ready, serve immediately. Store any leftovers in the fridge..
Try my French Dip Soup or Chicken Chile Relleno Soup next! This is my husband's favorite meal. Before life got hectic I used to make chicken and dumplings from scratch often. Mom's chicken and dumplings have never been this easy thanks to this simple slow cooker recipe that calls for Bisquick® to make the dumplings. Scatter onion in the bottom of a large slow cooker then top with chicken.