Fasolia gigantes (oven roasted Lima beans) . Drain the beans and cool under running water. Drain thoroughly and spread on paper towels to dry. Toss beans with the olive oil and sprinkle with salt, lime juice and cayenne.
Add the gigantes beans (drained), the celery, the parsley, ½ cup of hot water and season with salt and pepper. Turn the baking tray out of the oven, blend the gigantes beans lightly with a wooden spoon and pour in the grated tomatoes or plum tomatoes. Sort and wash beans; place in a large Dutch oven. You can cook Fasolia gigantes (oven roasted Lima beans) using 13 ingredients and 8 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Fasolia gigantes (oven roasted Lima beans)
- You need 900 g of Lima beans.
- You need 1/2 cup of olive oil.
- It’s 1/2 of onion.
- Prepare 1 of big carrot.
- It’s 1 stick of celery.
- It’s 2 tbs of tomato paste.
- You need 1/2 cup of crashed tomatoes.
- It’s 1 of bay leaf.
- Prepare 2 of all spice balls.
- You need 1 tbs of salt.
- You need 1/2 tbs of ground black pepper.
- Prepare 1/2 tsp of sugar.
- Prepare 1/2 cup of fresh dill chopped.
Some recipes for Greek baked giant beans (Gigantes Plaki) require cooking the tomato sauce separately and then combine everything in a pan. I find it a lot easier (and with less cleanup) to just add all of the ingredients to the pan and let them bake in the oven for about an hour. This way, the sauce has enough time to caramelize and get a hint of smokiness from the charred tops of the beans. Place lima beans in a large pot and cover with water (at least three times the volume of the beans).
Fasolia gigantes (oven roasted Lima beans) instructions
- If you are using fresh beans put them in a pot with some salt and water and bring it almost to a boil from the night before and let them sit like that over night. They cook better that way. Or you can use caned Lima beans..
- Heat up the oven to 350F than chop the celery, and carrot, on a multi blender and set a side..
- On a cutting board chop the dill finely and put a side.
- Now chop the onion finely and put it on a frying skillet with a tap of oil and fry till glazed at medium heat.
- Now on a big enough oven pan add all the ingredients.
- Now stir everything and add enough water to cover the beans.
- Cover and put in oven for about 2 hrs. After 2 hrs in cover and cook till water dissipate.
- Goes good with a glass of white dry wine and I also like to drizzle a bit of olive oil on top. Kali orexi. Enjoy.
Put the beans in a Dutch oven or a Pyrex. Meantime, heat the olive oil in a sautéing pan and sauté onions and garlic until translucent. Add the chopped celery, carrots, potato, fresh oregano and beans and mix. Add wine and cook for a few minutes, then add the honey, tomato, salt and pepper and water and mix. Add the chopped tomatoes, water, lemon zest, rosemary, bouillon cube, pepper, salt and giant beans.