Baked or fried portobello mushroom fries. Portobello mushroom slices coated in breadcrumbs and baked until golden brown, crispy and delicious! I am a big fan of fries and an even bigger fan of mushrooms so when I came across the idea of combining the two to make mushrooms fries I was immediately sold and just had to make them! Crispy Portobello Fries coated in Panko with your choice of seasonings, then baked or fried until they become crispy, crunchy perfection.
Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Remove the stalks from each mushroom then use a spoon to scrape out any dark gills from the underneath of each mushroom and discard. Seriously, their macaroons are to DIE for, but they are famous for their portobello mushroom fries. You can have Baked or fried portobello mushroom fries using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you achieve it.
Ingredients of Baked or fried portobello mushroom fries
- It’s 1 of peanut or coconut oil if frying.
- You need 5 large of portobello mushrooms.
- You need 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour.
- Prepare 1 1/2 cup of panko bread crumbs.
- Prepare 1/4 cup of finely grated Parmigiano Reggiano.
- Prepare 2 tbsp of finely chopped fresh parsley or thyme..
- You need 1/2 tsp of red pepper flakes.
- Prepare 1 of Salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- You need 3 of eggs, lightly beaten.
- It’s 1 of to make with tempura style omit flour, and bread crumbs, and replace with tempura follow directions that come with the batter..
I came home and remade them within a week. I used our Baked Zucchini Fries recipe and just made a few tweaks. They were a definite hit with my husband and I. Portobello Fries are oil-free with two different cooking options; baked or air-fried.
Baked or fried portobello mushroom fries step by step
- Preheat oil in a deep-fryer to 350.
- Remove the gills and stems from the underside of the mushrooms and trim the edges off. Slice into 1/4-inch strips..
- Measure flour into a pie plate. In another pie plate or bowl, combine panko, Parmigiano, parsley, red pepper flakes and salt and pepper..
- Dredge the mushrooms in flour, followed by the egg wash and finally in the panko.Working in batches, place the breaded mushroom slices in the hot oil and fry for 3 to 4 minutes, until golden brown. Drain on a paper towel lined sheet tray. Finish with sprinkling with more cheese.
- If baking place on a parchment lined baking dish, and bake at 425 for 8-12 mins, or until golden..
Crunchy on the outside, and hot and soft on the inside, these portobello fries dipped in creamy stone-ground mustard sauce or ranch are a fabulous appetizer or snack. Lightly dredge the portobello fries in the flour mixture; dip in the egg mixture; followed by coating evenly in the panko crumbs. Place on the prepared baking racks. Side Note: This step makes the panko stick to the mushroom better. The mushroom fries at Veggie Grill were very lightly coated and then deep fried to make them crispy.